Sonia G and Rahul G have been summoned as ACCUSED on August 7th to face trial in National Herald case. Once they appear they will, in all probability, have to take bail and deposit passport. Besides the Gandhis, the court has also summoned Congress leaders Oscar Fernandes and Motilal Vora. Now Mr. Jaitely can order investigation under Income Tax Act against Sonia for misusing party funds in the case.
For those who don’t know, National Herald case in brief:
• Sonia and Rahul, the prime accused, used party funds of All India Congress Committee. (Rs.90 crore) illegally to acquire the properties of National Herald.
• Acquisition of assets was done by a newly-floated private company named Young Indian.
• Directors of this private company (also accused in the case): Motilal Vora, Oscar Fernandez, Suman Dubey and Sam Pitroda.
• The grab is worth more than Rs. 5000 Crore, which belonged to the public limited company Associated Journals Limited(AJL), the publisher of ‘National Herald’
• The case was filed by dr. swamy in February last year